Friday 23 February 2007

Cheap Thrills

I have a confession to make.
Yes, another one...

I have only had two professional manicures my whole life.
The first one because I was going to this big event with work and I knew I would have meetings with uber groomed Americanos and the second because, well, I was going on holiday to New York with the super groomed Americanos... Can we see a pattern, kids? I loved getting my manicures, they made me feel like a proper grown up lady but hey, I'm just not.

There are any numbers of reasons why this is. I'm clumsy, I chip polish, I'm too lazy to take it off properly... Since I'm so awful at looking after my nails (they're clean and not bitten, okay?) I don't see a lot of point in spending a lot on nail polish. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's just not an investment purchase to me. The last three I bought were Barry M, 17 and Rimmel. And I was happy with them all. I have used Nails Inc which was three times as expensive and achieved no better results so I'm not exactly reaching for the Chanel Rouge Noir right now.

But there is something about buying nail polish that is akin to buying pick and mix. They're cheap, they're shiny, they come in dozens of colours and they're a really easy way to pick up a trend. As much as I'm not one for manicures, I do love painting my tootsies in summer and for the three days that it lasted, my black manicure for NYC last winter looked super chic.



See what I did there? NYC/NYC? I'm so meta...

If you're after something that won't break the bank, NYC have a great range of nail polishes if you like classic colours, called Glossies and you can pick them up in Superdrug for a complete song. I like the Rimmel colours too if you're after a fashion forward look. 17 is great at picking up trends really quickly but the quality isn't so good. Barry M colours are always fun but only if you're prepared to invest time in a couple of coats.

Which as we've established, I'm not. Off to the loo to try try out a new clear varnish... I laddered my tights on the way on this morning.
A lady I am not.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP