Tuesday 2 December 2008

High Street Mascaras: Maybelline and Rimmel

One of the main catalysts behind BeautyMecca was my ongoing quest for the perfect mascara. In the last two years, several have turned my head and my credit card, some of the best being Clinique's Lash Power, Prescriptives Lash Envy, Estee Lauder Double Wear but still I'm unsettled. I know, I know, I'm never happy.

Given the masses of cash I've spent on making my eyelashes look purdy this year, I decided to give the high street a go* and I've got to say, I've been really pleasently surprised.
First up is Maybelline's Colossal Voum' Express mascara. Aside from the ugliest packaging of anything ever, it's pretty good. The consistency is more fluid than I usually enjoy but it really does make mt lashes very, very long. And it's 3-4-2 in Superdrug right now so you can get a couple of nail colours and maybe an emergency Dream Matte Mousse (to keep in your desk for pre-party touch ups). I would say it delivers more on length than volume for me and I'm not sure what effect collagen can actually have when painted onto your eyelashes in tiny amounts but it's good. I haven't tested it on a night out yet but I will and will update accordingly.



An even bigger shock has been Rimmel's Sexy Curves mascara. Now, this has really pretty packaging but the most ridiculous name of any mascara ever. You don't mind pulling out the metallic purple tube but who wants people on the tube to see that you're wearing 'Sexy Curves' anything? That said, I sort of love this. The consistency is thicker than the Maybelline mascara and it makes lashes look long, thick and almost fake. There's literally nothing subtle about it but it's great for a night out and it doesn't smudge all day long. I've even been able to top up after work without it flaking or clumping. Seriously, I think it's going to be my party mascara of choice this season. Oh, and the brush looks like a terrifying tiny sex toy but it's amazing for getting right into the inner and outer corners of your eyes.

*I would like to clarify that this has nothing to do with the credit crunch and everything to do with the fact that I have a cold and could only make it as far as Superdrug on the high street this weekend.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP