Monday 18 July 2011

Festival Must Haves

This weekend I braved my first festival in four years and I can’t actually believe I did it. The last time I went to a music festival (Reading, 2007) someone threw a bottle of wee at my head on the way into the arena on the first day and on the second night, someone came into our tent to ask if we had something I could use as drumsticks. At four in the morning. He got a kick in the face for his trouble. And I got my tent weed on in retaliation.

But alas, alack, I returned to the festival circuit but this time as an actual act! Someone people allegedly want to see! I don’t know that it’s true but someone at Latitude apparently believed it was. Still, at least I was better prepared than I was in 2007... Disposable contact lenses and pop-up tents can change your life.

As well as the wee-themed 2007 trip to Reading, I’ve got a few other festivals under my belt and I’m well aware of their beauty shortcomings. In fact, who are we kidding, beauty? I’m well aware of their hygiene shortcoming. I consider myself lucky not to have home stinking and diseased. As I was trying to carry as little as possible and yet achieve some sort of ‘I’m not a skank, honest’ effect*, this is what I had in my (shudder) backpack.

- Neutrogena Face Wipes

- Elemis Lavender Toner

- La Mer SPF 30 Fluid

- Clarins Beauty Flash Balm

- Crappy shower gel from Duane Reade

- Neutrogena SPF 100 Spray

- Avon SSS Bug Spray

- Nars The Multiple mini in Orgasm

- Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara in Black

- MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack

- Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill in Noka

- Dior Lip Glow

- Jurlique Anti-Bacterial Gel

I’ve always been a big fan of big, dark eyes at festivals. If ever there was a place where you can get away with the ‘yeah, I slept in my eyeliner and it looks awesome’ look, it’s at a festival. Of course, while slept in is a good look, it’s not an ideal scenario for your skin so the wipes are essential. Granted I think the shower gel is a bit of a stretch, in ten years I haven’t seen running water at a festival that hasn’t reduced me to tears. This year wasn't that different. So. Much. Mud.


*I was supposed to be reading with Helen Fielding. She didn't show. I think that's because Bridget v. v. hates camping. It's not a mini break, is it?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP